Leeds Arts University has exchange agreements with universities across Europe, the USA, Hong Kong, Canada and Mexico. 

Visiting and exchange students applying to spend a semester at Leeds Arts University:

If your home institution has a formal partnership with Leeds Arts University and you would like to spend a semester in the vibrant northern city of Leeds, please see 'How can I apply?' below. 

If your home institution does not have a formal partnership with Leeds Arts University, you can still apply to spend a semester with us, but you will pay tuition fees on a pro-rata basis. Contact the International Office for further information on tuition fees.

Incoming exchange students join Level 5  - this is the second year of our three-year undergraduate degrees.

Please find the application form under 'How can I apply?' below. 

Outgoing Leeds Arts University students:

If you are a current Leeds Arts University student and you would like to apply to spend a semester abroad, please see here. 


Remember you can always contact the International Office to discuss your study abroad options (available in Level 5 for one semester only).



Why choose Leeds Arts University?

  • Study at one of the UK’s highest ranked independent specialist art institutions with a vibrant community of like-minded creatives
  • Full credit transfer to your home university 
  • English language tuition is available
  • You can enjoy a full programme of welcome, orientation and social events for visiting and international students
  • Leeds enjoys a lower cost of living compared to many parts of the UK
  • You can access a range of affordable accommodation
  • Experience life in the UK’s best student city!
  • Our central Leeds location makes a great base from which to explore the region and the rest of the UK

How do I apply to Leeds Arts University as a visiting or exchange student?

If you would like to apply to Leeds Arts University as a visiting or exchange student please download and complete the application form below. If your home institution has a partnership with Leeds Arts University, you must first ask your home institution to nominate you for an exchange. 

Visiting and Exchange Student Application form

Please submit your form to the International Office with the following supporting information:

  • Full CV and short motivation letter
  • Scanned copy of your passport
  • Transcript from your previous/current institution
  • Academic reference
  • Portfolio with 5-10 examples of your work (online/PDF/Powerpoint formats are acceptable)
  • Evidence of your English language ability (normally equivalent to IELTS 5.5 or CEFR B2) unless you are from a majority English speaking country or can evidence one of the qualifications detailed under the entry requirements for Undergraduate Courses.

The deadline to apply is 1 May for entry in the autumn semester and 1 November for entry in the spring semester.

How can I see if there is an exchange agreement between Leeds Arts University and my home university?

Please see here for a full list of our partner universities. 

When are the application deadlines?

The application deadlines for incoming exchange students are: 

  • 1 May (for entry in the autumn/fall semester) 

  • 1 November (for entry in the spring semester) 

How long are the exchange periods?

Students can apply to spend one semester studying with our students at Level 5 (academic year 2 of 3). 

Semester dates vary between institutions, so please check carefully when your exchange is expected to start. We will be in touch to confirm when your orientation will take place.

You can see Leeds Arts University term dates here

My home university does not have an exchange agreement with Leeds Arts University. Can I still apply to do an exchange?

You can apply as a Visiting Student, although please note that without an inter-institutional exchange agreement, you will be liable to pay tuition fees at the appropriate rate. 

You might also want to consider approaching us to suggest a partnership with your home institution. Please contact international@leeds-art.ac.uk to discuss this further. 

Can I study for a full course at Leeds Arts University?

The UK is one of the top study destinations for international students. With our undergraduate programmes taking three rather than four years, and masters programmes taking just one year, studying in the UK can provide a fast track to your chosen qualification.

Many students choose to study in the UK to improve their English Language ability which can also enhance your employability. Whether you want to do a foundation, undergraduate or postgraduate course, we’ll give you all the support you need. 

Please see here for full details on how you can join us as a full time student.