Please find below the answers to some of our most frequently asked questions.

If you have other questions that are not covered here, please contact us.

International FAQs

How do I apply?

What should my portfolio include?

Please read our Portfolio Guidance pages for more information on this.

Do I need to attend an interview?

We do not interview international students for Further Education courses or Undergraduate courses. 

We interview all international Postgraduate applicants that have the potential to meet the entry requirements. We can do this over Skype, FaceTime or Google Hangouts. The interview should not be something to worry about - it is an exciting part of the application process. 

An interview helps us to get to know you, your practice and your aspirations for the future. It also allows us to tell you more about our Postgraduate courses and together we can discuss how the course may fit into your future plans. 


How long will it take to receive my offer?


We aim to process all applications and inform you of our decision as quickly as possible. Please ensure you check your junk email folder, as occasionally our emails can land in here and this can cause delays. 

Can I apply if I have not yet met the entry requirements?

Yes! You can still apply even if you haven't yet received all of your academic results. You will receive a conditional offer outlining what qualifications and grades you will need to achieve before starting the course.

Am I an international student?

We warmly welcome students from anywhere in the world. We use the term 'international student' to refer to students from anywhere outside of the UK (including students from the EU). 

International students are subject to different tuition fees than those for UK students. Please see Tuition Fees & Scholarships for more information.

Please note that fee status is determined by several factors including nationality and country of residence. If you are not sure whether you should pay international fees, or UK fees, please contact us for advice.

Where is Leeds Arts University?

Leeds Arts University has two main sites, both situated in the centre of Leeds.

The City Centre building (LS2 8PH) is where the Further Education courses are based.

The Blenheim Walk building (LS2 9AQ) is where the Undergraduate and Postgraduate courses are based.

See our Visitor Guide for maps and directions.

Can I visit the University before I start my course?

Yes, we have open days over the course of the year where you will be able to view our facilities and visit accommodation a well as having the opportunity to speak to academic staff and students.

Please note that Autumn 2020 Open Days will be online, rather than on campus. Book your place here.

If you cannot attend an Open Day, please contact us and we may be able to arrange an independent visit.

Where are you placed in the University rankings?

The Guardian University Design and Crafts subject area includes BA (Hons) Comic & Concept Art, BA (Hons) Graphic Design, BA (Hons) Illustration, BA (Hons) Textile Design and BA (Hons) Visual Communication.

Do you offer scholarships for international students?

Yes - please see Tuition Fees & Scholarships for information.

How much are the fees, and when are payments due?

Fees vary for each course. Please see Tuition Fees & Scholarships for full details.

We require a £2000 deposit to secure your place during the summer before enrolment. The remaining fee is due in two instalments each year: 50% in September and 50% in January.

Students that pay in full before 31st August of each year will receive a 2% discount.

Can I work whilst studying?

If you are in the UK on a Student Visa, you are permitted to work for:

Further Education level students - Maximum 10 hours per week

Undergraduate / Postgraduate students - Maximum 20 hours per week

Students who do not require a visa can work without any restrictions.

Is accommodation available?

Yes, we work with local student accommodation providers and rooms are guaranteed for international students if you complete the online booking form before 1st July.

Our accommodation is apartment style, each student has a private bedroom with a private en-suite bathroom plus a shared kitchen and living area. There are normally 5-6 students in each apartment. For more information and to see photos, visit our Accommodation section.

The online booking form will be sent to you after you receive an offer to study here.

Do I need to take IELTS?

Please see our English language section for full details.

How do I apply for a student visa?

You may need to apply for a student visa in order to study in the UK. Click here to check if you need a visa.

The International Office is here to help you with all stages of the visa application process.

You can read more about it in our Visas & Immigration section and on the UK Government website.