English Language Requirements
Please see the tabs below for our requirements by level of study and details of the international qualifications we accept in lieu of IELTS.
You will automatically meet our English requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate study if:
- You are a national of a majority English speaking country (please note you are still expected to meet the English language standard equivalent to UK GCSE at grade C/4); or
- You have passed an English language test approved by UKVI at the appropriate level; or
- You hold a degree from a majority English speaking country, taught in English and equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree or above; or
- For UG study, you hold one of the international qualifications listed below at the appropriate level
If you have any questions, are unable to access an IELTS exam, or you are not sure if your current English qualification is suitable please contact the International Office for advice.
Free English language support is provided to all international students throughout the academic year by our dedicated EAL tutor.
Leeds Arts University Pre-Sessional English Language Course
Leeds Arts University offers a 6-week pre-sessional summer course for international students who have received an offer of a place for study at undergraduate or postgraduate level but are 0.5 below their IELTS entry requirements (if you intend to study the pre-sessional course you will need a SELT English test - IELTS for UKVI, LanguageCert International ESOL, PSI Skills for English UKVI or PTE Academic UKVI).
This intensive six-week course focuses on all aspects of English that you will need to succeed at the University, from building your confidence in English to presentation skills and academic writing. The course is taught on campus, so you will get to know the University and settle into life in Leeds before your degree programme starts.
It is not all hard work though, with a trip to the cinema, Leeds Museum and a day trip to Whitby included.
Successful completion of the course means you will not need to retake a SELT English test – you will be able to progress straight to your degree course.
COURSE STARTS 1ST AUGUST 2022
Tuition fees for the pre-sessional course are £1,500.
To express your interest in this course, please email the International Team.
Please note - minimum numbers are required for the pre-sessional course to run. If minimum numbers are not reached, an alternative course will be offered by Leeds English Language School. Successful completion of the course at LELS is accepted in lieu of IELTS for progression onto undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
Please see the tabs below for requirements by level of study.
Pre degree (Further Education) Courses
- SELT IELTS for UKVI (International English Language Testing System): Overall score of 5.0, with no individual component below 4.5.
SELT IELTS for UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration) is the UKVI approved version of the Secure English Language Test. This test must be taken in an approved IELTS SELT CONSORTIUM test centre and you must state you need a "UKVI approved SELT visa test" when you book.
Click here to view a full list of UKVI SELTs and test centres.
We will also accept:
- LanguageCert International ESOL - SELT B1 (Listening, Reading, Writing, Speaking), a minimum score of 33/50 in each component
- PSI - Skills for English UKVI B1 - Speaking, Listening, Reading, Writing (Pass in each component)
- PTE Academic UKVI - Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing - minimum score of 43 in each component
For country specific qualifications we accept, please see our Information By Country pages.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): Overall score of 5.5, with no individual component below 5.5. You must take the IELTS test at a UKVI approved centre and preferably, request the 'SELT IELTS for UKVI' version of the test.
For degree level courses as an alternative to IELTS we will accept:
- International Baccalaureate Diploma - (English A or B syllabus or English Literature, Standard or Higher level): 4
- European Baccalaureate - English Language 1/Advanced English Language 1/English Language 2/Advanced English Language 2: Minimum grade of 5
- A-Levels: If your language of instruction is English and with evidence of GCSE English at grade 4 or equivalent
- iGCSEs: iGCSE English at minimum Grade C/4
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Internet-based test (IBT): Overall score of 46 (minimum scores Listening 7, Reading 8, Speaking 16 and Writing 18)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) (Academic Skills): Overall minimum score of 42
- Study Group International Foundation Programmes: Successful completion (minimum score of 40%) of the Academic English Skills module
- Cambridge English Qualification: First or Advanced with a minimum overall score of 162 or Proficiency with a minimum overall score of 180
- LanguageCert ESOL: B2 Communicator with a minimum score of 25 in each component
- Oxford Test of English: Overall score of 111 with a minimum of 111 in each component
- IELTS Indicator: Overall score of 5.5 with a minimum of 5.5 in each component
- TOEFL ITP Plus China: Overall score of 543, with a minimum of Listening 54, Reading 56, Writing 53. Speaking test to be assessed by the University
- PSI Skills for English (Academic): UKVI Speaking, Listening, Reading, Writing at level B2 (Pass)
Further alternative qualifications may be accepted, but must be achieved at a minimum of B2 level on the CEFR scale.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): Overall score of 6.0, with no individual component below 5.5. You must take the IELTS test at a UKVI approved centre.
- If you hold a degree from a majority English speaking country, taught in English and equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree you are not required to provide proof of your English language ability
We will also accept:
Cambridge English Qualification: First or Advanced with a minimum overall score of 169 or Proficiency with a minimum overall score of 180
Pearson Test of English (PTE) (Academic) - overall minimum score of 50
TOEFL Internet-based test (IBT) with an overall score of 60 (minimum scores Listening 7, Reading 8, Speaking 16 and Writing 18)
- LanguageCert ESOL – B2 Communicator with a minimum score of 30 in each component
- Oxford Test of English – Overall score of 120 with a minimum score of 111 in each component
- IELTS Indicator – Overall score of 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in each component
- TOEFL ITP Plus China - Overall score of 572, with a minimum of Listening 54, Reading 56, Writing 53. Speaking test to be assessed by the University
- PSI Skills for English (Academic) - UKVI Speaking, Listening, Reading, Writing at level B2 (Pass with merit)