Undergraduate Finance

Universities and Colleges across the UK are very conscious of the fees for degree courses. That’s why Leeds Arts University will do everything we can to help you:

  • Understand the significant benefits of obtaining a degree
  • Understand exactly what you will need to pay, and when, and to whom
  • Understand exactly how you can finance your studies through loans and grants
  • Benefit from exceptional value for money whilst you’re studying with us
  • Prepare for a successful career, so that you can put any student loans behind you as quickly as possible

We understand that there’s a lot to take on board when it comes to student finance, and there’s only so much information we can cover on this page. That’s why we’ve included some useful web links.

Tuition and living costs

Degree students need to pay two sets of costs:

  • Your tuition
  • Your living expenses (accommodation, food and transport, plus studying expenses such as books and materials).

Do you live in the UK?

You don’t need to pay for your tuition in advance, providing you’re an eligible student. You will be able to get a loan from the Student Loans Company, a not-for ­profit, government owned organisation. This will cover the full amount of your tuition fees, which are paid directly to the University each year.

You can apply for a tuition loan regardless of the level of your household income. You will need to repay the loan, but not until after you graduate—and even then, only once you’re earning over a certain amount per year. You should apply for student finance as early as possible; you don’t need to wait for a confirmed place.

Eligible UK full-time students can also get help from the government to cover living costs. In the form of a maintenance Loan (which you have to pay back).

The Student Loan Company will assess your household income and tell you how much financial help you can expect to receive towards your living expenses.

If you have studied an undergraduate degree before please visit the student finance website: www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Students must register at university or University to get their first student finance payment. This Student Finance England film explains what steps you need to take to get your money in time for the start of your course. The Student Finance Zone also has some tips on how students can make sure they get their money in time for the start of their course.

Do you live in the EU?

Students from the EU (non-UK) will be entitled to loans for tuition fees from the Student Loan Company, but not for living expenses. You should call the Student Finance Services European Team on (+44) 141 243 3570, or visit www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

** EU (non-UK) students will only be eligible to apply for maintenance loans after five years residency in the UK - read more

EU Nationals and Student Finance in England - Statement from the Student Loans Company

The following statement applies to EU nationals who are currently in receipt of student loans from the Student Loans Company (SLC), and to EU nationals who intend to begin studying from this autumn.

EU nationals or their family members, currently in higher education, and who are assessed as eligible to receive loans and/or grants from the SLC, will continue to receive these loans and grants until they finish their course. This applies to all student finance from the SLC for students in England for which EU nationals are eligible. This includes loans to cover tuition fees (for those resident in the EEA for three years), loans and grants for maintenance (limited to those resident in the UK for at least three years), and some other grants and allowances.

The rules applying to EU nationals, or their family members, who have applied for a place at university from this August to study a course which attracts student support are unchanged. The SLC will assess these applications against existing eligibility criteria, and will provide loans and/or grants in the normal way. EU nationals, or their family members, who are assessed as eligible to receive grants and/ or loans by the SLC will then be eligible for the duration of their study on that course. These eligibility criteria set out that for students beginning study from this August, EU nationals must have been resident in the UK for at least five years in order to apply for a maintenance loan.

Students should consult their university’s student finance office, or the GOV.UK website, for information on what support they can receive.

Do you live outside the EU?

If you live outside the EU and want to study at Leeds Arts University, your application will be very welcome. You can find out all about your tuition costs and how they should be funded on our International Tuition Fees & Scholarships page.

Further support for degree students

The Student Loans Company can provide additional support for students with children, disabilities, mental health conditions or learning difficulties - you can find information on this at: www.gov.uk/student-finance/extra-help

  • Bursaries—The University has bursaries that will help support students during their studies. For more information visit Undergraduate Financial Support
  • HE Hardship Fund—this fund is designed to help students who begin to struggle financially after encountering higher-than-expected costs, who have an unforeseen emergency, or who face serious financial problems during their course. It is provided through the University and the payments are made directly to students. There are conditions for receiving this support, so you should contact our Student Welfare Team.

Early Payment Discount

Students who pay their fees in full before the 31st August will receive a discount of 2%.

All payment schemes are subject to review, update and terms and conditions. For further details please contact Finance on 0113 2028006.

Helpful links

General information www.gov.uk/student-finance