Following the Government announcements all of our teaching is now online. The facilities are open for those permitted to come onto campus.

One-to-one contact with staff and opportunities to work in small groups, with and without staff, are central to our teaching and learning and these practices will continue to be facilitated online through video conferencing.

Here we provide an overview of key questions that students may have.

Students also have access to a number of avenues for support including Student Welfare, the Student Union and teaching staff. Hardship funds are also available for students who may be experiencing financial difficulties during this time.

Further Information

Are University buildings open for teaching?

The rate of coronavirus infections has continued to rise therefore the Government have limited the students who can return for face-to-face teaching from 4 January and currently this does not include arts courses, all teaching has moved online.

Contact hours have not been reduced and teaching sessions and tutorials will take place via face-to-face video conferencing from week commencing 4 January. Course Leaders should be students’ first point of call for any curriculum-based questions.

Staff across the University are also on hand to help wherever they can including Student Welfare, Academic Support, English Language Support, Academic Computing, the IT Support Team, HE Administration, Workshop Staff, Library and Careers. eStudio carries information on how to do this.

There are exemptions for some students to return to access support and facilities on campus and students have been emailed regarding this.

On campus teaching will resume as soon as Government guidance allows. One-to-one contact with staff and opportunities to work in small groups, with and without staff, are central to our teaching and learning and these practices will continue to be facilitated online through video conferencing. Live video briefings, events, critiques, seminars and recordings of lectures that are backed up by live discussions are also part of our practices.

In preparing for our academic year 2020/21 we have looked at how the University will operate under different scenarios, such as further national or local lockdown.

We have followed certain principles when timetabling for 20/2021 such as:

  • Briefs not dependent on specific facilities but designed to develop the core skills, knowledge and understanding required by module specifications;
  • Where outputs in the form of made artefacts or work are required, carefully considering their form in order to minimise the cost to students of producing them;
  • All submissions for assessment will be digital to ensure that courses can operate under any of the circumstances that the changing environment may bring. This does not mean that outcomes will not be practical, but that the actual submission will be digital, for instance photographs of an artefact or a recording of a performance.

Is asymptomatic testing available for students?

For those permitted to come onto campus you are strongly advised to take a lateral flow test when you return and another one 3-7 days later. This is for those with no symptoms of Covid-19. Tests can be booked at our Blenheim Walk test centre. Book a test 

What health and safety measures are in place in the University to prevent the spread of Covid-19?

The operation of our buildings is in line with a number of UK Government Covid-19 Secure documents, guidance from Public Health England and the Health & Safety Executive. 

Do I need to wear a face covering in University buildings?

Face coverings should be used by both staff and students whilst in the University shared areas. Some individuals are exempt from wearing face coverings, and everyone should be sensitive to those needs.

What if Government guidance changes?

We have the flexibility to adjust quickly and we will amend our protocols following any changes. We are able to support our student community as necessary.

My finances have been affected by Covid-19, does the University offer any financial support?

Some students will find themselves in a different financial position than when they applied for student loans. For UK undergraduate students the Student Loan Company has changed its processes where a change in circumstances may jeopardise a student’s ability to go to University. There is further information on their website:

Our hardship fund is also designed to help where circumstances jeopardise a student’s ability to continue their studies.

What do I do if I develop symptoms of Covid-19?

If you have any of the following symptoms, you should not come onto campus or go to your GP, pharmacy or hospital:

  • A high temperature – you feel hot to touch on your chest or back
  • A new, continuous cough – this means you’ve started coughing repeatedly
  • A loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you’ve noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal

You should notify the University as soon as possible using  You must also notify your student accommodation, get a NHS test and self-isolate.

What if someone I live with has symptoms of Covid-19?

If you live with someone who has symptoms you must self-isolate until they get a NHS test result. If their test is positive you must self-isolate for 14 days from the date when they first suffered symptoms unless you develop symptoms too, in which case you should get a test. If the result is negative you no longer need to self-isolate. It is important to inform the University at if you live with someone who has symptoms. We will contact you for further details.

How will the University be monitoring the spread of the virus within the student population?

We are carrying out our own track and trace system alongside national efforts. When you notify us that you have symptoms or are self-isolating because someone you live with has symptoms we will contact you.

How will I buy food if I am self-isolating?

When you notify the University that you have symptoms or are self-isolating, you will receive help and advice for your situation to ensure that your needs are met and you are supported appropriately. 

Where should I go for NHS testing in Leeds?

If you have coronavirus symptoms, you should get a NHS test. All testing sites operate on an appointment only basis – please do not attend without an appointment. Appointments can be booked via the NHS online booking system or by calling 119.

Leeds has a number of testing centres that can be booked through the NHS site. The recommended testing centre for students is at the Gryphon Sports Centre (University of Leeds campus, Woodsley Road, LS2 9LZ). The Gryphon walk-through testing centre is open seven days a week from 8am until 8pm.

Please read the information leaflet to find out more and watch this video to find out what you need to do before your appointment and what will happen when you arrive for your test.

Will I be able to buy food and drink at the University?

Our café facilities are only be able to sell food and drink on a takeaway basis due to current Government guidance. 

Water fountains, supplying hot and cold water with foot pedal controls are installed throughout our buildings. 

What support is available for overseas students?

The International Team is here to help students. We’re available on Skype or the phone to students who have questions or are feeling isolated and would like some additional support. Please reach out to us on to let us know how we can help.

I’m an overseas student. Can I choose to study remotely?

Some overseas students may wish to be taught purely online for a period of time. These may include students who live outside the UK and have travel restrictions or have to quarantine when they arrive. We may be able to accommodate this on a case-by-case basis. Any student who would like to apply for this should contact the Academic Registrar or the International Team in the first instance. 

Are you currently holding any open days?

We have hosted a number of online open days for all levels of study. We aim to make these open day events as close to the experience of visiting our buildings as possible. They include live course talks and the opportunity to ask questions of tutors and student ambassadors as well as representatives from our admissions, accommodation, student welfare and careers teams.

Booking is open for our open days via this link

Wednesday 24 February

Our undergraduate open days for this cycle have finished but you can register to watch the recordings of our open day talks - on-demand open day

Foundation Diploma
Our Foundation Diploma open days for this cycle have finished but you can register to watch the recordings of our open day talks - on-demand open day

Extended Diploma
Wednesday 27 January

Access to HE Diploma (Art & Design)
Wednesday 24 March