Estranged Students

Leeds Arts University organise taster days and after school classes so that estranged/independent students have an opportunity to experience some of the specialist facilities at the University.

What is the definition of an estranged/independent student?

Student Finance England definition is...

You will be considered independent for student finance if you meet any of the following criteria, as set by the Student Loans Company:

  • You have not communicated with either of your biological or adoptive parents for 12 months (this is flexible) before your course begins and the situation is irreconcilable.
  • You can show you have been financially independent for three or more years through employment or benefits (consecutively or non-consecutively) before your course begins.
  • Your parents cannot be traced or it is not possible, practical, or safe to make contact with them.
  • Your parents have significant mental or physical health problems which prevent you from contacting them.
  • Both of your biological or adoptive parents are deceased.

Support for estranged/independent students attending Leeds Arts University

We have a dedicated estranged student contact, Anne-Marie Watkinson, who can answer questions regarding our courses and the support we offer. To talk to Anne-Marie email There is financial support for student that fall into this category through the University. Please see undergraduate financial support link in next section.

Financial Support for Degree Course Please visit our Undergraduate Financial Support page for more information.

Student Welfare

Leeds Arts University offer one to one support with issues regarding academic work, financial matters, housing, emotional issues, health and well-being.


We have rooms available in modern, purpose-built properties which are located within the student area of Leeds. The accommodation is surrounded by excellent local amenities and is a 20-minute walk from the University. Accommodation is provided for 365 days where required.