Animator and Senior Lecturer in BA(Hons) Animation at the University, Ben Simpson – aka Doctor Simpo – announces his Animated Antidote Cartoon Competition to blow away the isolation blues.
Image: (c) Doctor Simpo, 2020.
The competition launched on Youtube on Wednesday 8 April, 6.30pm with the first in a weekly series of animation tips from Doctor Simpo. The tips, to help you create the best animation you can, will continue throughout lockdown every Wednesday, 6.30pm on Doctor Simpo's Youtube channel.
The competition brief from Doctor Simpo is to provide sixty seconds of ‘funny, silly, wacky wild, down-right-daft screen time to blow away the anxiety of our times, with above all – laughter!’. A shortlist of ten animations will be shown at the Holmfirth Film Festival in November. Prizes are provided by Holmfirth Film Festival and Bates Mill Creative Spaces and will be awarded in three categories:
Children (Aged 17 and under): £75
Students (Any age): £150
Professional/adult entries (18 and over): £300
- Submitted cartoons must be less than 60 seconds in length, with sound where possible
- Files should be 24 fps, 16:9 aspect ratio and exported as h.264. (Other formats are accepted, please ask for details)
- All submissions must be received by 12 noon, 1 August 2020
- The top 10 shortlisted animators will be contacted via email and their animations will be screened at the Holmfirth Film Festival in November 2020 - details to follow on submission
- Please submit your animation via WeTransfer to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The final animations will be decided by a public vote (details to be announced)