English Language Requirements
Please see the tabs below for our requirements by level of study and details of the international qualifications we accept in lieu of IELTS.
You will automatically meet our English requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate study if:
- You are a national of a majority English speaking country (please note you are still expected to meet the English language standard equivalent to UK GCSE at grade C/4); or
- You have passed an English language test approved by UKVI at the appropriate level; or
- You hold a degree from a majority English speaking country, taught in English and equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree or above; or
- For UG study, you hold one of the international qualifications listed below at the appropriate level
If you have any questions or you are not sure if your current English qualification is suitable please contact the International Office for advice.
Pre-sessional English Language Courses
Leeds Arts University is pleased to work with Leeds English Language School to offer pre-sessional language courses for prospective undergraduate and postgraduate students. All Leeds Arts University students studying a 10-week pre-sessional course will receive a 10% discount of the total pre-sessional tuition fee.
It is recommended that you are at B1 level of the CEFR (approximately IELTS 4.5-5.0) in order to achieve our IELTS requirements within 10 weeks.
If you require a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK, Leeds Arts University can sponsor you for both the 10-week pre-sessional course and your subsequent course providing you have met all other conditions of your offer.
For more information and to book, please visit Leeds English Language School.
Free English language support is provided to all international students throughout the academic year by our dedicated EAL tutor.
Please see the tabs below for requirements by level of study.
Pre degree (Further Education) Courses
- SELT IELTS for UKVI (International English Language Testing System): Overall score of 5.0, with no individual component below 4.5.
SELT IELTS for UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration) is the UKVI approved version of the Secure English Language Test. This test must be taken in an approved IELTS SELT CONSORTIUM test centre and you must state you need a "UKVI approved SELT visa test" when you book.
Click here to view a full list of UKVI SELTs and test centres.
Please note this is the ONLY acceptable test for below degree level study.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): Overall score of 5.5, with no individual component below 5.5. You must take the IELTS test at a UKVI approved centre and preferably, request the 'SELT IELTS for UKVI' version of the test.
For degree level courses as an alternative to IELTS we will accept:
- International Baccalaureate Diploma - if your language of instruction is English
- A Levels - if your language of instruction is English
- Indian Standard XII - from a recognised school board with a minimum score of 65% in English
- Canadian High School Graduation Diploma - if your language of instruction is English
- USA High School Graduation Diploma - if your language of instruction is English
- Hong Kong - HKDSE Core English with a minimum score of 3
- Icelandic Stúdentspróf - with a minimum grade 6 in English
- Kenyan Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) - English at Grade C or above
- Norwegian Vitnemål fra den Videregående Skole - with minimum grade 4
- Singapore-Cambridge GCE O Level - English at Grade C6 or above
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Internet-based test (IBT) - overall score of 72 (minimum scores Listening 17, Reading 18, Speaking 20 and Writing 17)
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) (Academic Skills) - overall minimum score of 42
- Bellerby's International Foundation Programme - successful completion (minimum score of 40%) of Academic English Skills module
- Cambridge English Qualification: First or Advanced with a minimum overall score of 162 or Proficiency with a minimum overall score of 180
Further alternative qualifications may be accepted, but must be achieved at a minimum of B2 level on the CEFR scale.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): Overall score of 6.0, with no individual component below 5.5. You must take the IELTS test at a UKVI approved centre
- If you hold a degree from a majority English speaking country, taught in English and equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree you are not required to provide proof of your English language ability
We will also accept:
Cambridge English Qualification: First or Advanced with a minimum overall score of 169 or Proficiency with a minimum overall score of 180
Pearson Test of English (PTE) (Academic) - overall minimum score of 50
- TOEFL Internet-based test (IBT) with an overall score of 80 ((minimum scores Listening 19, Reading 20, Speaking 22 and Writing 19)