English Language Requirements

Please see the tabs below for our requirements by level of study and details of the international qualifications we accept in lieu of IELTS.

You will automatically meet our English requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate study if:

If you have any questions or you are not sure if your current English qualification is suitable please contact the International Office for advice.

Pre-sessional English Language Courses

Leeds Arts University is pleased to work with Leeds English Language School to offer pre-sessional language courses for prospective undergraduate and postgraduate students. All Leeds Arts University students studying a 10-week pre-sessional course will receive a 10% discount of the total pre-sessional tuition fee

It is recommended that you are at B1 level of the CEFR (approximately IELTS 4.5-5.0) in order to achieve our IELTS requirements within 10 weeks.

If you require a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK, Leeds Arts University can sponsor you for both the 10-week pre-sessional course and your subsequent course providing you have met all other conditions of your offer. 

For more information and to book, please visit Leeds English Language School.  

Free English language support is provided to all international students throughout the academic year by our dedicated EAL tutor.


Please see the tabs below for requirements by level of study. 

Pre degree (Further Education) Programmes

SELT IELTS for UKVI (UK Visas and Immigration) is the UKVI approved version of the Secure English Language Test. This test must be taken in an approved IELTS SELT CONSORTIUM test centre and you must state you need a "UKVI approved SELT visa test" when you book.

Click here to view a full list of UKVI SELTs and test centres.

Undergraduate Programmes

We will also accept:

  • International Baccalaureate Diploma - if your language of instruction is English 
  • A Levels if your language of instruction is English 
  • Hong Kong - HKDSE Core English with a minimum score of 3
  • Icelandic Stúdentspróf with a minimum grade 6 in English
  • Kenyan Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) in English at Grade C or above
  • Norwegian Vitnemål fra den Videregående Skole with minimum grade 4
  • Singapore-Cambridge GCE O Level in English at Grade C6 or above
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) internet-based test (IBT)
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE) (Academic)
  • Bellerby's Foundation Academic English Skills module 

Further alternative qualifications may be accepted, but must be achieved at a minimum of B2 level on the CEFR scale.


We will also accept:

Further alternative qualifications may be accepted, but must be achieved at a minimum of B2 level on the CEFR scale.