Transferring to or from University

Transferring to or from University

For a variety of reasons you may begin a degree course but then find yourself wanting to change institution. We welcome applications from students wanting to transfer, but there are some things to consider before you apply:

  • Notifying your current institution
    You may want to approach your personal tutor or central support services to discuss your situation and any implications of transferring.
  • Visa implications
    If you are an international student studying on a Tier 4 visa you should seek advice from your institution’s international support team.
  • Student finance
    You will also need to consider any impact on your Student Finance loan arrangements.
  • Academic Progression

Your current institution may calculate your final degree classification in a different way. Read Leeds Arts University’s regulations (section 9) on how your final degree classification is calculated. 

Academic Regulations

You'll only be accepted on to the second year of a course if there are places available.

How to apply

Admission to the second year of a course can be made on the basis of Recognition of Prior Learning, set out in the University’s Academic Regulations (section 4).  You should provide evidence that you have previously undertaken prior and relevant learning. It must demonstrate that your previous learning correlates with the learning outcomes of the module(s).  For further information about recognition of prior learning, please contact the University’s Admissions Team on 0113 202 8039.

If you’re made an offer

If you receive an offer, it will be conditional on completion of your current year of study and gaining 120 credits or 60 ECTS credits.  If we are unable to offer you a place for second year study, we will consider offering you a place for the first year. It is important that you check which year the offer is for.

Transferring from Leeds Arts University to another university or college

If you transfer to another university or college you will need to permanently withdraw from Leeds Arts University.  Before you make your decision you should:

  • make an appointment to speak to your Course Leader to discuss your options
  • seek advice from the other university or college about their requirements and to ensure that there is a place available (you may need to reapply through UCAS).

If you have followed the above steps and decide that you wish to leave the University, please contact the Higher Education Administration team to request a withdrawal form.

International students

If you are an international student, studying on a Tier 4 visa, transferring may have implications for your immigration status. Please contact the Internationalisation team.

Implications of transferring to another institution

You may still be liable to pay some or all of your tuition fees. Please speak to a student welfare advisor.

If you have completed enough credits you will be sent a certificate for an exit award.

Transferring to a new university or college may affect how your final award is classified, so do check their academic regulations.