The below entry requirements are for 2023/24 entry.
We value creativity foremost and are looking for students who are passionate about their work and can demonstrate this through their application.
Our undergraduate minimum requirements are:
- 112 UCAS points from any combination of A Levels/T Level/Extended Diploma/Foundation Diploma. One qualification should be in a relevant subject; or
- BBC from three A Levels; or
- A minimum of one Distinction and two Merits (DMM) from an Extended Diploma or a Merit from a UAL Extended Diploma or T Level in a relevant subject; or
- 112 UCAS points from a recognised Access to Higher Education course specialising in art and design with a minimum of 45 credits at level 3; or
- An international equivalent to 112 UCAS points in a subject related to your proposed course of study. Please see our Information by Country pages for more information.
All home applicants aged under 21 must have GCSE English at Grade 4/Grade C or above, or English Functional Skills Level 2 at Pass. International applicants must have a minimum IELTS overall score of 5.5, with no individual component below 5.5 (or recognised equivalent).
Examples of work
For all BA (Hons) degree courses (with the exception of BMus (Hons) Popular Music Performance) you will need:
- To set up your portal
- You will then be asked to submit a maximum of six examples of work from your portfolio for consideration. The files should be no larger than 30MB in total and it is essential that no more than six examples of work are uploaded.
- Guidance on what to include in your examples of work can be found here.
For BMus (Hons) Popular Music Performance you will need:
- 112 UCAS points from any combination of A Levels/Diploma/Extended Diploma. One qualification should be in a relevant subject, this may be a Rockschool Level 3 Music Practitioner qualification.
- A Level of performing ability equivalent to ABRSM/Rockschool/Trinity Grade 8
- Music theory understanding to Grade 5 level
Performing ability and theoretical understanding will be assessed through a practical performance of (1) a set piece relative to a specific instrument or voice and (2) an original song, instrumental composition, or arrangement of an existing song that has been uploaded to a suitable video sharing platform (YouTube, Vimeo or Weibo) for remote review.
For BA (Hons) Creative Writing and BA (Hons) Creative Advertising:
- For these courses, an interview forms part of the Admissions process. Providing that you meet our entry requirements for these courses, and submit your examples of work within the required deadline you will be offered either an in person or remote interview.
For BA (Hons) Creative Writing you will need:
- Evidence of your writing interests in the form of samples of your work. Your work should demonstrate your developing, imaginative and creative skills.
You’ll need to have passed GCSE English Language or English Literature at Grade 4/Grade C or above, or English Functional Skills Level 2 at Pass. For mature students, an Access to Higher Education qualification in art and design will also be acceptable to demonstrate English language ability. For mature students who are unable to provide formal evidence of an appropriate standard of English, the University may request completion of its own English proficiency test.
Doing a Foundation Diploma?
If you’re studying an accredited Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, you’ll need a minimum of 112 UCAS tariff points. This is collated from the Foundation Diploma plus your A Level or Extended Diploma results. You’ll also need a GCSE Grade 4/Grade C or above in English Language, English Literature or equivalent (see above), or English Functional Skills Level 2 at Pass.
Doing an Extended Diploma?
You’ll need a minimum of 1 Distinction and 2 Merits (DMM) from an Extended Diploma in a relevant subject or an overall Merit from a UAL Extended Diploma. You’ll also need a GCSE Grade 4/Grade C in English Language, English Literature or equivalent (see above), or English Functional Skills Level 2 at Pass.
Doing A Levels?
You’ll need 112 tariff points from your A Level studies, typical grades required are BBC. One qualification should be in an art and design or related subject. You’ll also need a GCSE Grade 4/Grade C in English Language, English Literature or equivalent (see above), or English Functional Skills Level 2 at Pass.
A guide to tariff points can be found on the UCAS website.
Doing Access to Higher Education?
You’ll need to have passed a recognised Access to Higher Education course specialising in art and design with a minimum of 45 credits at level 3. A combination of pass, merit and distinction to total 112 tariff points.
Doing any other qualification?
We accept a number of other qualifications. For full details, please refer to our course entry requirements on the UCAS website and the UCAS tariff points tables at www.ucas.com
Click here for information on entry requirements for EU students, and visit our Information by Country pages for international students.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
Leeds Arts University has a commitment to widening access to higher education. The University demonstrates this commitment through its widening participation schemes, arrangements for transfer and recognition of prior learning.
For further information about recognition of prior learning, please contact the University’s Admissions team at email@example.com.