We value creativity foremost and are looking for students who are passionate about their work and can demonstrate this through portfolio work, auditions and interviews.
Our undergraduate minimum requirements are:
- 112 UCAS points from any combination of A Levels/ Extended Diploma/ Foundation Diploma. One qualification should be in a relevant subject
- BBC from 3 A Levels
- A minimum of Distinction and 2 Merits (DMM) from an Extended Diploma or a Merit from a UAL Extended Diploma
- 112 UCAS points from a recognised Access to Higher Education course specialising in art and design with a minimum of 45 credits at level 3
- All home applicants aged under 21 must have GCSE English at grade C/grade 4 or above, or English Functional Skills Level 2 at Pass. EU applicants must have a recognised equivalent, and international students must have a minimum IELTS overall score of 5.5, with no individual component below 5.5
For BA (Hons) art and design degrees you will need:
- A portfolio of relevant practical work, demonstrating your ability and enthusiasm for the course you’re applying for.
For BMus (Hons) Popular Music Performance you will need:
- Passes at GCE A level (one of which should be in music), or a Rockschool Level 3 Music Practitioner qualification, or a National Diploma in a music-related subject with a minimum of 112 UCAS tariff points
- Certified Theory of Music equivalent to either ABRSM or RockSchool or Trinity Grade 5 by enrolment or completion of the Leeds Arts University music theory course and test, equivalent to Grade V theory in the first semester
- Pass a Leeds Arts University audition in the year prior to entry demonstrating a high level of performing ability – equivalent to ABRSM/Rockschool/Trinity Grade 8*
*Specifically, applicants do not need to hold a Grade 8 certificate, but will be expected to demonstrate energy and presence in performance to this level.
For BA (Hons) Creative Writing you will need:
- Evidence of your writing interests in the form of samples of your work. Your work should demonstrate your developing imaginative and creative skills
You’ll need to have passed GCSE English Language or English Literature at grade C/grade 4 or above, or English Functional Skills Level 2 at Pass. For mature students, an Access to Higher Education qualification in art and design will also be acceptable to demonstrate English language ability. For mature students who are unable to provide formal evidence of an appropriate standard of English, the University may request completion of its own English proficiency test.
Doing a Foundation Diploma?
If you’re studying an accredited Foundation Diploma in Art and Design, you’ll need a minimum of 112 UCAS tariff points. This is collated from the Foundation Diploma plus your A level or Extended Diploma results. You’ll also need a GCSE grade A*-C/grade 4 or above in English Language, English Literature or equivalent (see above), or English Functional Skills Level 2 at Pass.
Doing an Extended Diploma?
You’ll need a minimum of 1 Distinction and 2 Merits (DMM) from an Extended Diploma in a relevant subject or an overall Merit from a UAL Extended Diploma. You’ll also need a GCSE grade A*-C/grade 4 in English Language, English Literature or equivalent (see above), or English Functional Skills Level 2 at Pass.
Doing A levels?
You’ll need 112 tariff points from your A level studies, typical grades required are BBC. One qualification should be in an art and design or related subject. You’ll also need a GCSE grade A*-C/grade 4 in English Language, English Literature or equivalent (see above), or English Functional Skills Level 2 at Pass.
A guide to tariff points can be found on the UCAS website.
Doing Access to Higher Education?
You’ll need to have passed a recognised Access to Higher Education course specialising in art and design with a minimum of 45 credits at level 3. A combination of pass, merit and distinction to total 112 tariff points.
Doing any other qualification?
We accept a number of other qualifications. For full details, please refer to our course entry requirements on the UCAS website and the UCAS tariff points tables at www.ucas.com
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
Leeds Arts University has a commitment to widening access to higher education. The University demonstrates this commitment through its widening participation schemes, arrangements for transfer and recognition of prior learning.
For further information about recognition of prior learning, please contact the University’s Admissions Team on + 44 (0)113 202 8039.