We’re looking for students with the best potential to succeed—irrespective of their background. That’s why we welcome a wide range of qualifications and experience.
You’ll need to show us a portfolio of relevant practical work, demonstrating your ability and enthusiasm for the course you’re applying for. We will also want to see level 3 qualification/s in an art and design related subject (see below).
You’ll need to have passed GCSE English Language or English Literature at grade C or above, or Functional Skills in English or Key Skills Communications at Level 2. For mature students, an Access to Higher Education qualification in art and design will also be acceptable to demonstrate English language ability. For mature students who are unable to provide formal evidence of an appropriate standard of English, the College may request completion of its own English proficiency test.
- Doing a Foundation Diploma?
if you’re studying an accredited foundation diploma in art and design, you’ll need a minimum of 260 UCAS tariff points** from that plus your AS and A2 or Extended Diploma results You may add together AS/A2/Extended Diploma and Foundation Diploma tariff points in arriving at 260 points. You’ll also need a GCSE grade A*-C in English Language, English Literature or equivalent (see above).
- Doing an Extended Diploma?
you’ll need a minimum of 3 Merits (MMM) from an extended diploma in a relevant subject .You’ll also need a GCSE grade A*-C in English Language, English Literature or equivalent (see above).
- Doing AS and A2?—you’ll need 260 tariff points** from your AS and A2 studies. Two of your qualifications must be at A2 level, one of which should be in an art and design or related subject. You’ll also need a GCSE grade A*-C in English Language, English Literature or equivalent (see above).
- Mature student Access to Higher Education?
you’ll need a recognised Access to Higher Education course specialising in art and design.
- Doing any other qualification?—we accept a number of other qualifications. For full details, please refer to our course entry requirements on the UCAS website and the UCAS tariff points tables at www.ucas.ac.uk
- EU/UK students studying for the International Baccalaureate Diploma
You'll need to achieve a minimum International Baccalaureate Diploma score of 24, which equates to 260 tariff points, plus a minimum score of Standard Level 4 in English Language.
- EU/UK students studying for the European Baccalaureate Diploma
You'll need to achieve a minimum of 60%, including an art and design related subject, in addition to a pass in English, when taken as a first language. A portfolio of relevant work is also required.
- If you are an International student applying for a Higher Education course
If your first language is not English, please see for details on English Language Qualifications that we accept.
- Studying for any other qualification?
We accept a number of other qualifications. For full details please refer to course entry requirements on the UCAS website and the UCAS tariff points tables at www.ucas.ac.uk
Tariff points gained at AS level will only count towards the overall tariff score if the same subject has not been taken at A2 level. A guide to tariff points may be found on the UCAS website at www.ucas.com/students/ucas_tariff
If you need further guidance with your portfolio the College offers a portfolio preparation course, held on Saturdays for school year 11-13 students. Find out more here