Leeds College of Art recognises the importance of embedding sustainability within its practices, both operationally and educationally.
We operate within a College Sustainability Framework, which helps educate our students about long-term, cultural, economic and environmental health and vitality, together with the importance of linking social, financial, and environmental well being.
We aim to:
- Develop and enhance our Estate by identifying opportunities to reduce our carbon footprint and optimise our building systems, fabric and infrastructure to be more energy efficient
- Foster inquiry into sustainability through teaching, learning and research
- Embed sustainability within the curriculum (environmental– societal, economic)
- Ensure our graduates are sustainability literate, equipped with the skills, knowledge and understanding to live and work in a complex and changing world
- Ensure all staff and students are aware of their individual and collective responsibilities regarding sustainable practice
- Actively encourage and support student engagement throughout all sustainability developments in the College
- Share knowledge across all areas of College activity to raise awareness of and ensure effective participation in sustainability practices
Our Sustainability Committee plans, supports and monitors the College’s sustainability activity and how it adheres to the College’s Sustainability Framework.
Our students are also heavily involved in our sustainability activity, via our students’ union and individually. The students’ sustainability society is call Conscious Creatives and works to engage students in sustainability and make the College a more sustainable environment. Read more here or watch the film below.
The majority of our BA (Hons) programmes engage significantly with our sustainability agenda, whether through setting live briefs, working with communities or exploring sustainable materials and techniques.
Leeds College of Art is also a member of The Environmental Association for Universities and Colleges (EAUC). The EAUC is a not for profit member based charity supporting sustainability in universities and colleges. They aim to inspire, promote and support change towards best practice sustainability within the operations, curriculum and research of the UK tertiary education sector.